Monday, November 16, 2009

of grainy photographs

So I actually worked pretty hard on this sloppy little comic, but it got killed dead by my digital camera (my roommate's scanner was even worse, though). Sorry for the graininess.

It actually reads RIGHT TO LEFT, even though I wrote out the characters from left to right...oops. I don't really read manga so my panelling's pretty bad, too...

It's pretty hard to see some things due to the carnage perpetrated by my camera, so let me explain them/my katakana use to you!
Photobucket

On the first page, I use スタタタ for running footsteps, チラ meaning a quick glance backwards, コロ as something rolling--she's tripping on a little rolly robot there :O --and バン as an impact sound.

Photobucket

Page two, I use katakana for the characters' names (little monocle girl's name is March). Panel nine, I use the katakana ジロ as in a hard stare. Panel ten, the dude in the hat is showing her the wrench he's taken from her Q_Q. Last panel, I use ルンタタタ as the lady hummin' a song.

Photobucket

Page three, on panel two I use ピト as the noise of something being lightly touched. Later ピリ as a sound of electricity/pain, even though technically I guess it's supposed to be ピリピリ. Lastly, ガクン...another impact noise. She sure seems to fall down a lot, huh?

Sorry if it seems like a snippet of a larger work, because it kind of is...I came up with this girl/world for my AP Art portfolio last year, and I just turn to it when I need to do art of some kind. I'm a bit out of practice, though, as you can see...

All my sound effects were taken from http://www.lolikon.org/misc/soundfx.html.

10 comments:

Felix said...

まんがはきれいです。ぼくはかくあまりかくよくありません。すみません。My Japanese is not the greatest.

SkullsAndHappiness said...

Wow you are an amazing artist! I tried to make a manga too, but then i remembered i didnt have a scanner. Or a camera! Fail! あなたのえがだいすき!そして、かたかなわいいです。

Anonymous said...

とても きれい です!..you make me feel embarrassed to only put up doodles. x_x; Its so well done.

Anonymous said...

A variety of onomatopoeia use in your manga makes readers feel as if they are watching a movie. The way you use 'チラ', 'ガク,' 'コロ' etc, perfectly fits in each context. すごいですね。絵もとても上手です。続(つづ)きが読みたいです。

アリス said...

こんにちは!
メリサさんのBLOGはとてもおもしろいですね!

Yujin Chung said...

Drawing that must've taken a lot of time. I like スタタタthe best--kind of reminds me of, "pitter-patter." Anyways, amazing job!

SkullsAndHappiness said...

あなたのかきものがじょうずです! Very creative story too!

Anna said...

えが きれいですが、ものがたりが わかりません。。。  Since it's part of a larger story, maybe you could do a little background explanation? I think your drawings are awesome, but I'm not too sure what's going on. @.@

みちえ said...

マンガはすごいですね。You are such a good artist. You should do graphic design!

Lubeen said...

いいですね! I know you say you dont really read manga, but your drawing of it is really good. Very impressive/interesting.